31 January 2014

visiting the thalassa




A few times of year, for no reason at all, I get a certain longing for the ocean. I crave the feeling of being completely enveloped by the big blue, and being perfectly connected to the world – from toe to tip. It's funny, because I'm definitly not a beach girl. But still, the sea beckons to me, and when the water is warm enough in the summer months, I indulge in my craving with pleasure.

This summer, I've been feeling it more than ever. Perhaps it's because my appreciation for the gorgeous place I call home has grown. The ocean is certainly a simple pleasure that many of us can enjoy for free. Not only that, but the salty sea seems to have a certain healing quality to it. Even in ancient times, Hippocrates first used the word 'thalassotherapy' to describe the healing effects of seawater ('thalassa' meaning sea). In any case, my husband and I have been making frequent trips to the beach each week for strolls and dips. There's also been some yoga classes on the beach each Sunday, which I have been looooving. I will be making the most of these beachy visits while the summer continues!

IMAGE: CONDE NAST TRAVELER

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts. Drop a line in the comments box below.